Comprising the 11 Planning Areas of Outram, Museum, Newton, River Valley, Singapore River, Marina South, Marina East, Straits View, Rochor, Orchard and Downtown Core, the Central Area is both the economic and historic heart of Singapore. Having a mix of both modern and heritage buildings, this area creates a unique cityscape that attests us to our vibrant and plural history, as well as our economic progress from colonial outpost to a thriving global financial and business hub.
Learn more about this part of Singapore through the story maps below.
Click or tap here for image credit.
1. Old Raffles Place photo via National Archives of Singapore
2. Present day Raffles Place photo by Jukkabrother [CC BY-SA 4.0]
3. Raffles Place streets photo via PictureSG [CC BY-SA 4.0]
4. Bras Basah schools photo by Chen Siyuan [CC BY-SA 4.0]
5. Bras Basah places of worship photo by Zhenkang [CC BY-SA 4.0]
6. Bras Basah streets photo by Choo Yut Shing via Flickr
7. Civic District photo by William Cho [CC BY-SA 2.0]
8. Fort Canning photo by Matt Kieffer [CC BY-SA 2.0]
9. Old Kallang photo via National Archives of Singapore
10. Present day Kallang photo by William Cho via Flickr
11. Orchard Road photo by chensiyuan [CC BY-SA 4.0]