Bras Basah And Its Places of Worship
Bras Basah is one of Singapore’s oldest districts. With a name derived from the Malay term ‘wet rice’ which were once laid out on the banks of Bras Basah River (today’s Stamford Canal), it was marked out by Sir Stamford Raffles as part of the European Town in 1822 and had served as the suburb to the built-up areas which included the Commercial Square (today’s Raffles Place) district. As a result, the Bras Basah area was considered an ideal location for the establishment of public and religious buildings including schools.
Take a trip back in time in this story map to learn more about the some of the oldest religious buildings that can be found in Bras Basah.
View the story map in full screen or on your mobile device by scanning the QR code below.
This story map does not show a comprehensive coverage of the places of worship in Bras Basah.
The title of the base map used in this story map is “Singapore Road Map. Singapore South East” (1988).
This story map used related articles in Infopedia, HistorySG, BiblioAsia, and Roots as references. It also consulted the following books: Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (2013), What’s in the Name?: How the Streets and Villages in Singapore Got Their Names (2018), Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (2018), Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (1988), In Granite and Chunam: The National Monuments of Singapore (1996), and Singapore: A Pictorial History 1819-2000 (1999).