An estate with architectural, cultural and historic significance, Tiong Bahru was developed in the 1920s as Singapore’s first public housing estate by the Singapore Improvement Trust (SIT), the colonial predecessor of the Housing Development Board. Apart from being used as a burial ground, the area in the early days was used for cultivations, and by military personnel from the Sepoy Lines fortification at Pearl’s Hill.
Take a trip back in time in this story map to learn more about Tiong Bahru, its history and the places of interest.
View the story map in full screen or on your mobile device by scanning the QR code below.
This story map does not show a comprehensive coverage of the places of interest in Tiong Bahru.
The title of the base map used in this story map is the “Singapore Topographical Map” (1987).
This story map used related articles in Infopedia, HistorySG, BiblioAsia, and Roots as references. It also consulted the following books: Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (2013), What’s in the Name?: How the Streets and Villages in Singapore Got Their Names (2018), Tiong Bahru: Heritage Trail (2013), Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (2018), Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (1988), and Singapore: A Pictorial History 1819-2000 (1999).