Raffles Place In the Sixties
Initially known as Commercial Square, Raffles Place has undergone many changes since it was demarcated as a commercial district in the 1822 Singapore Town Plan. During the colonial period, Raffles Place witnessed the construction of a series of architecturally beautiful buildings that housed mercantile companies, banks and shops. By the time Singapore gained independence in 1965, Raffles Place had become a prime location surrounded by some of the finest looking buildings in the country.
Find out the name and history of these buildings in this story map.
View the story map in full screen or on your mobile device by scanning the QR code below.
This story map does not show a comprehensive coverage of the streets in Raffles Place.
The title of the base map used in this story map is the “City of Singapore” (1954).
This story map used related articles in Infopedia, HistorySG, BiblioAsia, and Roots as references. It also consulted the following books: Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (2013), What’s in the Name?: How the Streets and Villages in Singapore Got Their Names (2018), Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (2018), Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (1988), In Granite and Chunam: The National Monuments of Singapore (1996), and Singapore: A Pictorial History 1819-2000 (1999).