The angular Bank of China building and the Malayan Bank Chambers (former Whiteway Laidlaw Building) were among the tallest buildings in 1960s Fullerton Square. Serving as the headquarters of Bank of China and Maybank respectively, they underwent a major redevelopment in the late 1990s. In 1999, a new 37-storey tower with a similar facade was built to incorporate the original Bank of China building, while the Malayan Bank Chambers was replaced by a sleek 32-storey tower designed by SYL Architects.
View the juxtapose in full screen or on your mobile device by scanning the QR code below.
This juxtapose was created using related articles in Infopedia, HistorySG, BiblioAsia, and Roots as references. It also consulted the following books: Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (2013), Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (2018), Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (1988), In Granite and Chunam: The National Monuments of Singapore (1996), Singapore: A Pictorial History 1819-2000 (1999), Singapore: Architecture of a Global City (2000), Contemporary Singapore Architecture (1998), and The Golden Shoe: Building Singapore’s Financial District (1989).